Sunday, September 25, 2016

INTERVIEW: ALLYSON MOYER

(Photo Courtesy of SkySoft Entertainment LLC.)


Anyone who watches Fox — or has even heard of the show — knows that what the creators did was pretty amazing! With distinct lead roles and unusual formatting, the show quickly became the talk of the town!
But Allyson Moyer, who plays the ‘not so adventurous’ Mina Abrams gave us an inside look into the character and behind the scenes.

What’s your favorite part about playing Mina?

Allyson Moyer: I love getting to be the character that’s really showing people, especially younger/teen girl, that it’s ok to love who you love. That it’s ok to be who you are and sometimes it’s ok to be scared but no matter how scared and lost you are, you can yourself up again and be strong and find that confidence within yourself. To me, Mina really embodies that inner strength that sometimes hard to find.

And has that confidence and strength helped her since finding out that Fox wasn’t entirely honest? I wanted to say lie but Fox never told a lie, did she?

I’d say she fibbed a little. [Laughs.] But yes, I definitely think that will help carry Mina through. Sometimes it takes a tough situation to bring that strength out and that’s what Mina’s going through now.

The show is climbing its way up and IMDb is noticing it big time! Fox has kept traditional roles but had changed it up a bit casually by putting a woman in what is normally the role of a man. How do you take the responsibility of portraying Mina, being a part of this in an authentic way?

I know, isn’t it awesome? And yes, that’s something we talked about when they first cast me; we wanted to stay firm on breaking those gender roles. Honestly it was scary at first, I knew there was a fan base already set up and they loved each character so fiercely that it was intimidating! But I’ve done my best to embrace every aspect, even the more negative comments because I really feel just grateful to be a part of this whole thing! I try to stay connected to the fans as well, people are always so surprised that I comment back to them on Instagram or Twitter and it makes my heart so happy that they’d get so excited.

Speaking of negative comments, the show has been getting some criticism as well. Even though, there were only three of you (with the exception of a few guest stars), women are represented by Fox and Mina but men are represented by Xander, who’s the villain. Not just any kind of villain but a man who throws tantrums, seeks revenge and abuses women. Is that intentionally? Is that what men are to be perceived to be like?

Not at all actually, we’ve never even talked about pitting one gender against another. Xander is played by a guy because that’s what fits the storyline. I think it’s natural that we step on some toes because it’s basically impossible to make everyone happy but I can for sure say that we’ve never intentionally put anyone’s gender into negative light.

There is so much secrecy surrounding the show. After doing my research, SkySoft or what was formally Hayden/Teague, didn’t leak any of the show’s plots which is starting to be respected now but this a time where the public feels they are entitled to every bit of information. Does the secrecy ever weigh on you?

I actually kind of love the secrecy! First off, it’s pretty rare for shows to keep quiet about so much and second, it’s so fun to talk to people about it- even friends and family, and have to tiptoe around a ton of stuff. Being in on the secret is a ton of fun, I’m not gonna’ lie!

So you’re contacted not to leak info. Not even to your friends and family?

Basically! And yes everything is locked down! I can say though that even if I was allowed to tell them, I definitely wouldn’t want to! I want them to be just as surprised as everyone else when they’re watching.

How has your life been affected by the show?


I think it’s really made me more confident. This show is the first major, ‘on-camera’ work I’ve done, so it’s boosted how I feel about my acting ability which I’ll forever feel grateful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment